Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: GPA 212-8A , Seeking Thoughts, Opinions, Experiences

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/downloads/212_8A.pdf

    This appears to be a most impressive machine. It's size, frequency response, box requirements and output ability have my full attention.

    Appears to be the "Engine" revisited, will there be a 15 inch version?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If our buddy Boris only had some boxes...

    WinISD suggests a 5.799 cu/ft box tuned to 44.77 with an F3 of 41Hz.

    Pretty smooth XO.

    Bit of a peak there at 14k, is that about where the spread peters out?

    Nice pdf too.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Vathek's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2007
    Posts
    44
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    When I spoke to Bill about a week ago to order some diaphragms, I also asked him about this speaker. What I find most interesting, is that it uses a 1.4" driver for the high frequencies.
    He confirmed that peak at 14k and said that some people quite like it that way. He might do something about that peak in the future, but didn't seem to worry about it too much. He also said that they also work in pretty small enclosures, as floor monitors for example. I thought he said something like around 4 cu/ft being ideal, but please don't quote me on that. He didn't mention a 15"-version.
    I'm also curious about this speaker and if the atlantic ocean didn't exist, I might even have bought a couple..

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    I've heard them - IMPRESSIVE!

    A 15" just might be looming in the wings...

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    If our buddy Boris only had some boxes...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Agreed........... if i had fewer pans in the fire i'd entertain building boxes for him, just not possible in my immediate future.

    I'm inclined to try a pair of these, the thought of the full bodied Altec sound in a package i can actually handle by myself is very tempting.

    Anybody have a ballpark price guess on the 212-8A?


    What I find most interesting, is that it uses a 1.4" driver for the high frequencies.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Also, notice that like the "Engine" the HF and LF motors share a common magnetic structure.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member vintageboris's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20th, 2008
    Posts
    47
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I spoke to GPA today and got the prices updates, but did not ask for the 212 forums

    Was focused on projecting either a 9844 kinda or 1218 with GPAs.

    I tried one carpenter in the nearby place, so he would do it. We are about calculating the price (thanks for the inputs about material Gary, as well as of the 9844 thoughts Tom!).

    WinISD suggests a 5.799 cu/ft box tuned to 44.77 with an F3 of 41Hz.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That would be quite close to the model 934 (5.627 cu/ft).
    934 in Altec Catalog
    The pdf sheet sugests even less - 4.5 cu/ft.

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ February 04, 2008 06:29 PM: Message edited by: vintageboris ]</font>

  7. #7
    Inactive Member vintageboris's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20th, 2008
    Posts
    47
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Price guessing - if the 604-8H without xover) costs about 680$, then the 212 (with xover) shouldn't be very far away each direction...

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Vathek's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2007
    Posts
    44
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I did ask Bill what they cost and I already PMd bowtie, but is it OK to publish GPA prices on this board? Bill seems to be somewhat reluctant about making prices available to the public.
    Otherwise just PM me if you'd like to know what he asks for a 212-8a.

  9. #9
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    List is $540 with crossover...

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Sounder's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 5th, 2006
    Posts
    83
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I know I must be missing something. Why buy these 12's when the 604's are better in all respects. Not being smart, here, but just wondering and hoping to be enlightened. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.